This blog is all about my little sister, Asma, who lost her life in the battle against cancer on February 11, 2005 at the age of 12.

All About My Baby Sister, Asma

Feel free to pass this blog along to others, Insha'Allah. (To read the very first post/entry, click on "February 2005" under "Archives" and scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see the first entry). Please keep my parents and family in your dua'as. Jazak'Allah. May Allah reward all of you and keep you guys on the straight path. Ameen May Allah reunite us with Asma once again. Ameen

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Loss of Hair

Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallahi Wabarakatuh,

I was thinking today while sitting and talking to my parents and for some reason I started to think of Asma and her chemotherapy days at the hospital.

One of the things I still remember when Asma was about 9 years old and started chemo and was losing hair.

I would visit her at the hospital everyday with my siblings. My father would go straight there from work. My mother stayed with Asma 24/7.

Anyways, I would drop everyone off at the entrance and parked the car across the street. So by the time I got to her room, everyone was already there.

So I walked into her room and Asma got happy. She was in her bed watching T.V. As soon as Asma saw me, the convo went something like this:

Asma: "Omar guess what? Want to see something?"
Me: "Yeah, what?"

At this point, Asma pulls on her hair. My jaw dropped as she was doing that. Her hair was literally coming off like cotton candy.

Me: "Asma! What are you doing? Stop it."

Asma just started to giggle and kept doing it.

Later on the nurses gave Asma a wig to wear since she was bald. Asma refused to wear it. The nurses didnt know why Asma refused. We didnt know either. lol

Asma later on said that she doesnt want to wear it because its haraam to wear wigs. Allahu Akbar!

I was amazed. Subhana'Allah.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has cursed the woman who adds false hair and the woman who has this done, and the woman who tattoos and the women who has this done.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, 5477)

After a while, we asked Asma if she wanted to wear a bandana or a hat to cover her head since she was bald.

It went something like this:

Me: "Why dont you want to cover your head?"
Asma: "Because I dont care what people think of me."

I was speechless. I was like Subhana'Allah a little girl like her doesnt give a damn what the world thinks, yet here I am all paranoid and worried.

When I started to grow my beard, I would think of Asma and how she didnt care what people thought of her. That helped me quite of bit when I was at the stage of growing my beard.

Subhana'Allah, Asma always helped me out in ways that I didnt even realize until now.

May Allah elevate her status in Jannah to the highest level. Ameen
May Allah reward my parents for their care and endless efforts for taking care of Asma and the rest of the family 24/7. Ameen
May Allah reunite us with Asma. Ameen
May Allah take away the fear of the kuffar from us. Ameen


Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallahi Wabarakatuh.

10 Comments:

  • At Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    subhanaAllah. may Allah light her grave with his light, ameen.

    how long was it before she was able to regrow her hair?

     
  • At Sunday, April 09, 2006 12:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salaam.
    Wow I can't believe Asma just yanked out her hair in front of you. She really was a strong girl. May Allah grant her Jannat.

     
  • At Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:29:00 AM, Blogger Veiled Muslimah said…

    Assalam Alaykum,

    That's really sad. Sigh.. Mashallah she was so strong in her faith at such a young age.

    May Allah s.w.t grant her jannah.

    Ameen to the duas.

    Masalamah

     
  • At Sunday, April 09, 2006 3:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ameen to your duas bro

     
  • At Sunday, April 09, 2006 5:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Asslam o alaykum w.w.

    Ameen .... yeah this alopecia is one critical part that comes with the chemos ... my mom also lost her hair .... but scarf was more appropriate thing ... and after her first chemo cycle she got such beautiful hair .... :)

    May allah bless asma and my ama both with eternalé peace and high levels of jannah inshah allah

     
  • At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May Allaah soothe the hearts of you and your family, aameen

    Masha'Allaah ... something I see you contemplate in a lot is your sister who is now gone ... but what about the sister that is alive? You should pay attention to her and realize her good qualities.

    She also loves and misses Asma so be good to her as well and don't make her feel unappreciated. Imagine if you lost her as well?

    SubhaanAllaah don't take her for granted. You are very lucky to have a sister like that still alive... may Allaah protect your family, aameen

    -Asmaa

     
  • At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:08:00 AM, Blogger AllAboutAsma said…

    Ameen

    lol Well the title does says, "All About My Baby Sister, Asma."

    If you noticed, I dont post about anything/anyone else other than Asma on this blog.

    - Omar

     
  • At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 12:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Omar it was a reminder that you should not forget this. Obviously this is the blog about your sister, but even your sister sometimes by her statements feels unappreciated. So take it as an advise to get closer to Aisha insha'Allaah.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 11, 2006 3:06:00 PM, Blogger AllAboutAsma said…

    Zahera, that wasnt disrespectful. In fact, I laugh too when I think of the times we had. I totally know what you mean when you talk about Ibby.

    Your story of him throwing a tennis ball reminded me of the time when Asma braided my beard when I was asleep. When I woke up, she was laughing like crazy. lol

    Anonymous, well I appreciate your advice. However, you only see/hear what Aysha tells you. You dont know/see the whole picture.

    Anyways, Im going to update this more often, Insha'Allah.

    Salaam

    - Omar

     
  • At Friday, October 17, 2008 8:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i knew she was going to say its haram!she was soooooo cool man what else did u expect from someone so cool?an awesome answer

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
</body></html>