This blog is all about my little sister, Asma, who lost her life in the battle against cancer on February 11, 2005 at the age of 12.

All About My Baby Sister, Asma

Feel free to pass this blog along to others, Insha'Allah. (To read the very first post/entry, click on "February 2005" under "Archives" and scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see the first entry). Please keep my parents and family in your dua'as. Jazak'Allah. May Allah reward all of you and keep you guys on the straight path. Ameen May Allah reunite us with Asma once again. Ameen

Monday, November 14, 2005

How did she do it?

Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallahi Wabarakatuh,

I think I have been sick for about a week now. I have been hit with a flu. I have pretty much been out of it. Most of the time I would drug myself heavily and just hide under a blanket(s). That and drank plenty of fluids. Alhamdulillah, Im better today...enough to go to school.

I have been and am still coughing like a maniac. Many times I just wish I would cease to exist so I can avoid going through the pain and discomfort. I cough so much that it would hurt my throat and chest.

That got me thinking. I started to think about Asma and when she used to cough.

During the Asma's last month or two, her lungs were filled with fluids (it was the doctor's fault, but I wont get into it now. Maybe later, Insha'Allah). Her right lung was completely filled and had collapsed. Her left lung was 1/2 filled.

Obviously, that caused her to breathe with difficulty. She wasnt able to breathe on her own towards the end. She needed help with breathing. She was hooked up a huge respirator which was always on. Then there were two nebulizers by her side ready to be used in case of her breathing attacks.

Subhana'Allah, I dont think I know of anyone who coughed so much. Well, actually I dont. Its not even a question.

Asma would have attacks without warning. She would repeatedly cough with no end in sight. Sometimes she coughed for 20 minutes. Other times she coughed for SIX HOURS STRAIGHT! Subhana'Allah, can you imagine that?

After coughing for six hours, she would finally stop. However, it would start back up again and last for another THREE TO FOUR HOURS!

It later became a routine for her (and us). You could easily tell the pain she was in. Her face was pale. She was weak. VERY WEAK.

Despite all this, she NEVER EVER complained. Not even once. ALLAHU AKBAR!

She had these episodes everyday. On an average, her coughing lasted for about three hours. She would constantly cough without a break.

Now think about it...

...can you think cough non-stop for more than a few minutes? Asma coughed over and over, non-stop for SIX HOURS!

I give much props to my parents who sat there with the nebulizer in their hand in one position for hours and hours without complaining.

May Allah reward my parents. Ameen

I think about all this and think about myself, I see how weak I am. I get scared and upset if I get sick for a week. I get upset because I will cough on and off throughout the day, yet Asma NEVER complained when she coughed for SIX HOURS NON-STOP.

Subhana'Allah, look at the difference. Look at her strength, courage, and determination.

May Allah elevate Asma's status to the highest level in Jannah. Ameen
May Allah reunite us with Asma. Ameen
May Allah reward my parents for their patience, effort, and the faith they kept in Him. Ameen
May Allah give my parents and family sabr. Ameen
May Allah give my parents shiffa. Ameen

May Allah guide us and keep us on the straight path. Ameen.
May Allah forgive us of our sins and accept our good deeds. Ameen

Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallahi Wabarakatuh.

6 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salaam,

    May Allah reward Asma and elevate her status in Jannah. Poor girl went through so much :(
    I hope you feel better soon too.

     
  • At Wednesday, November 16, 2005 1:46:00 AM, Blogger Ayooshi said…

    Asalamu Alaikum,

    Never has a moment came where I opened this blog and tears did not flood my eyes and I remembered death. Never have I felt so ungrateful as when I read about the angelic and demure nature of darling asmaa.

    May Allah(swt) unite you and your family with asma. May He grant you and your family the highest ranks of Jannah for your Sabr and strength.

    I feel like as if asmaa is my own, as if I was there too. SuhbhanAllah.

    Jazaak Allahu khair for opening the eyes of others through Asmaa's pure and difficult life.

    Fi AmanAllah

     
  • At Wednesday, November 16, 2005 4:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salam,

    SubhanAllah...the courage, and faith Asma had SubhanAllah...

    May Allah grant her janah,
    May Allah grant her jannah,
    May Allah give you and your family sabr and shiffa, May Allah reunite you on the day of judgement and in jannah, May Allah reward you, your parents and your dads friends for being there for Asma and always looking after her. May Allah take away all your problems. May Allah forgive us for our bad deeds and accept all our good ones and accept all our duas. May Allah keep each and every one of us, on the right path and never let us be led astray...
    Ameen
    Ameen

     
  • At Wednesday, November 16, 2005 5:20:00 AM, Blogger . said…

    Subhan Allah

    may allah give you shiffa and keep us all on the straight path ameen

    ma assalama

     
  • At Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel her all pain inside me... Inshaallah She is happy now n May Allah let her protect your familly .... I am so sad.. I remember my Daddy... he dead when i was 7 years old... but we can not blame noone for this Allah knows the best what is the best... If he took Asma to Him or my Daddy he has good reason for this.. I know.. and this kind of things- situation in our life shold just make us more strong dont make any weakness... I am stronger... and Hope Asmaa gave you some poweer too..Khod balak men nafsak...

    Fi aman Allah

     
  • At Thursday, October 16, 2008 9:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i have allergies so im constantly coughing and sometimes it hurts my chest so much i get so aggravated and think why do i have this dumb cough all year round?but its not like asmas cough :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
</body></html>