This blog is all about my little sister, Asma, who lost her life in the battle against cancer on February 11, 2005 at the age of 12.

All About My Baby Sister, Asma

Feel free to pass this blog along to others, Insha'Allah. (To read the very first post/entry, click on "February 2005" under "Archives" and scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see the first entry). Please keep my parents and family in your dua'as. Jazak'Allah. May Allah reward all of you and keep you guys on the straight path. Ameen May Allah reunite us with Asma once again. Ameen

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Inside the Pizza Shop


Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallah,

I have been wanting to post this for a while now, but I did not have a way to upload this picture below from my mobile phone until recently, thanks to a good friend of mine, Muneer (May Allah bless him and keep him on the straight path. Ameen). So finally, here it is and I am posting this up.

To many, it may be nothing more than just a picture. To me, its much more than that - it carries memories filled with smiles and tears with it.

I mentioned in few my previous posts that I was in Tijuana, Mexico for Asma's cancer treatment. We were there during most of the Ramadan. Because we went there without knowing much about the area or the people, we really didn't know what to expect. So it was a bit difficult to find halaal food in the area where we were. Plus, we werent really focused on that either since we were so consumed with Asma's illness and her well-being.

The clinic/mini hospital (in which we also stayed) was located right along the beach. As soon as you crossed the street, it was the ocean. You could even hear the waves during the night as the wind picked up making it a bit breezy. It was an eerie feeling to say the least. Two people had died while we were there. Asma's condition was up and down on a daily basis. We were living in uncertainty.

Anyhow, I had found a place across the street for food. It was a little pizza shop right on the beachfront. I'd usually get two pizzas for my parents and I to last us through Suhoor and Iftar. Asma didn't eat much.

The pizza shop became our place to go for a few weeks. Thats pretty much all we ate for Suhoor and Iftar for three weeks straight. In fact, when we came back to Chicago, I had lost any desire to eat pizza for a long time as I was sick of eating it.

During one of the first days we found the pizza shop, Asma was feeling pretty good. We decided to eat there with Asma. We tried to take each and every opportunity to spend any available time with Asma as we didnt know if we will be blessed with another chance of being around Asma. Strange thing is that I feel like I could have spent a lot more time with her. : (

Since we didnt have a time table or anything that would tell us the time for Maghrib/Iftar, I would look out at the sun and watch it set. The picture above was taken from inside the pizza shop during one of the first days of finding that pizza shop. We were waiting to break our fast with Asma. It was a special moment because it was with Asma. We watched as the sun set until it had disappeared from the horizon. It was a neat to see that. What can be more accurate than to actually see it yourself.

Subhana'Allah, each and every place you go, you can witness Allah's beautiful Creations.

Anyhow, whenever I look at this picture, it brings back old memories of Asma and my parents and how we spent time our last days with Asma together. Along with those memories, this picture also brings many smiles and tears...

I truly miss her.

May Allah elevate Asma's level to the highest in Jannah. Ameen
May Allah accept our souls in the state of Islam and reunite us with Asma once again. Ameen
May Allah reward my parents for everything they have done for Asma and for their patience and faith in Allah to deal with this trial. Ameen
May Allah give my parents sabr and complete shiffa. Ameen
May Allah open the hearts of the Muslims and clear them of evil. Ameen
May Allah guide us to the straigth path. Ameen
May Allah protect us all. Ameen.
May Allah forgive me if I have upset or offended Asma. Ameen


WasSalaamualaikum Warahmutallah.

2 Comments:

  • At Friday, November 16, 2007 3:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Assalaamu 'alykum akhy

    I pray you are doing well.

    jazaak Allaah khayr for continuing to share your memories of Asma. They truly are heart-rendering and full of lessons mashaa Allaah.

    may Allaah elevate Asmas status in jannah and unite you and your family with her aameen.

     
  • At Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:07:00 AM, Blogger Almira said…

    This is a really nice post brother GQ, from your past post I can tell your were a really good brother to her, and above all she was blessed to have a family that cared so much about her.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
</body></html>