This blog is all about my little sister, Asma, who lost her life in the battle against cancer on February 11, 2005 at the age of 12.

All About My Baby Sister, Asma

Feel free to pass this blog along to others, Insha'Allah. (To read the very first post/entry, click on "February 2005" under "Archives" and scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see the first entry). Please keep my parents and family in your dua'as. Jazak'Allah. May Allah reward all of you and keep you guys on the straight path. Ameen May Allah reunite us with Asma once again. Ameen

Saturday, October 11, 2008

They Just Never Go Away

Assalaamualaikum Warahmutallah,

May you all be in the best of health and Emaan. Ameen

Asma would have turned 16 two days ago on the 9th. SIXTEEN! Subhana’Allah, I can’t even imagine how she would have been at 16. Maybe because she was always a little girl to me and everyone else. She never became a teen. Ironically, she always used to say that she will never get to be a teen.

Sometimes you do not realize that it has been well over three years since she passed away. Time is really flying by. It feels like yesterday that I was standing at her gravesite watching her being lowered into the ground. Three years later, here I am.

I probably will always speak about her and write the memories as I share them with people. However, I hope it comes as a reminder not only to me, but all of us that time is indeed flying by and soon will be greeted by death.

In a hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (1036) from Abu Hurayrah who said: "The Prophet Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam said: 'The Hour will not begin until knowledge is taken away, earthquakes increase, time passes quickly, tribulations appear, and there is a lot of haraj, which is killing, killing, and until there will be a lot of wealth among you and it will become abundant.'”

Right now we all think that death will not come to us right now. We still aren't done having fun. We still need to get a high-paying job, get married and start a family. But did we even once stop to think that death is very near? Did we stop to think that death can any time? Death doesn't always come with a warning.

On October 9th, 1992, who would have thought Asma would die 12 years later? Never did it cross our minds. Yet, on February 11th, 2005 she passed away. After she passed away, so many people that are either related to us or that we know have also passed away - some quite suddenly.

What if we are next? What will remind us to be obedient to Allah Subhanawata'la?

For me, the death of my sister is enough. Whenever I need a reminder, I will go visit her grave and sometimes just sit there and contemplate. Whenever I go with my father to visit it, he sometimes points to the ground and says, "We, too, will come here one day. Are we ready?"

Many of the readers of this blog and people who hear about Asma will use her death as a reminder and Insha'Allah I hope they do. However, for me it is much more than just a reminder.

Thinking about Asma is not only a reminder, but also a motivation to be successful in life. Thinking about Asma is also a constant learning experience. She has taught me so many things including being patient and determined and never giving up. Ever.

I can still hear her voices in my mind. I can still see her face in my mind. I can still hear her giggle and smile. I can also hear call out my name.

Sadly, I can still see her bloody wounds and hear her painful screams. I can also hear the beeping I.V. machines and her blood pressure monitor. I can even feel the bench I would sometimes sleep on whenever I spent the night at the hospital.

They just never go away.

May Allah unite us with Asma once again. Ameen
May Allah reward my parents and give them complete shiffa and sabr. Ameen
May Allah elevate Asma's status to Jannatul Firdaus. Ameen
May Allah prepare us for death and take our souls in the state of Islam. Ameen
May Allah make it easy for my parents, my family and myself. Ameen

WasSalaamualaikum WarahmutAllah.

9 Comments:

  • At Saturday, October 11, 2008 1:58:00 AM, Blogger A soul that is dead with out Allah said…

    ameen

     
  • At Friday, October 24, 2008 1:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love the way you write and the way you compile your thoughts.

    if i dont visit your blog every so often,i miss asma too.

    ameen

     
  • At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 11:05:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :(

    All the best akhee.

     
  • At Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:17:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    today i was walking to my car and something sparked a memory of asma and i just looked at the sky and stared for a few seconds,my eyes teared but i was so happy that my little muslim sister is going to get Jannah

     
  • At Saturday, November 01, 2008 2:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    :'(

     
  • At Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:51:00 AM, Blogger Muslim Freedom said…

    Bismilahi ar-rahman ar-rahim, wa salat wa salam ala ashraf el enbiya wal mursalin, wa a'la nabiyini wa rasulina, wa habibina Muhammad sala Allahi alayhi wa salam, wa a'la a'lihi wa aswajihi, wa ashabihi, wa thoriyatihi, wa ashabihi ajmaa'in.

    In the name of Allah most Merciful, Most Wise, Gracious. Peace and blessings of Allah be on the prophet and his family, his wives and righteous companions. Ameen.

    "In yansurkum Allah, fala ghaliba lakum" Sadaq Allah el aliyal a'dhim. Surah Al-Imran 3:160

    "If Allah gives you victory, no one can defeat you"

    I just want to say that I still read your blog, and I still remember you, and inshaAllah I will try to keep you in my duas as much as I can, and I hope you do the same for me.
    In these difficult times, I hope that Allah gives you guidance throughout and never deserts you inshaAllah, that your duas are accepted and answered with little delay inshaAllah, that all your wishes for yourself and your family are granted to you by Allah, and that inshaAllah you are given until you are satisfied, and supported by Allah to withstand your suffering with patients, and to perservere to wait patiently for a response inshaAllah, but I pray inshaAllah that you don't have to wait much longer and Allah makes things easier for you and answers your duas very soon, soon, soon inshaAllah, Ameen.

    Brother I wanted to share a story with you that I found in a book I was reading, which reminded me of you and your situation.
    I managed to find it on the internet so that I could copy and paste it.
    I thought that you had to see it incase you haven't seen it before.
    I hope that it gives you some ease. Surely Allah gives ease. I do know that there aren't any quick fixes and no matter how hard or easy a situation is, if Allah doesn't grant you ease and straighten your affairs, then nothing can be accomplished or granted. It's not like you can listen to a song and everything will be better, or read some book, or watch TV, or keep yourself busy, or keep talking to friends, or family and keep busy with them.
    When you're alone again you will still be in the same situation, when the soon is over, the book is over, the pleasant time is over, your situation is still there.
    Only the one that put you in that situation can take you out of it.

    It's only when Allah from his mercy desires to take us out of a situation that He placed us in, or to grant us success or to allow our duas to coincide with His will, that we are granted our need, and given victory, and the hard times are replaced by great times, and lack of faith is turned into strong faith, and so forth.

    May our duas coincide with Allah's will inshaAllah, and may He have already written for us the things that we nag Him so much for inshaAllah, surely He is never tired of us and never tired of giving and ever Merciful and Generous. Ameen.

    This is the story of Malik Ibn Dinar brother, I hope inshaAllah it's helpful to you. Please remember me in your duas :)

    Malik Ibn-Dinar's repentance.

    He was a pious man and one of the prominent scholars in the Muslim Ummah. Yet, during an earlier phase of his life, he was not religious. He described himself as being impious, sinful and drunkard for he committed every possible sin. One day, while still impious, he was in the super market and found a man trying to buy some sweets with a cheaper price for his daughters since the Prophet (PBUH) said that whoever makes his three daughters happy will enter Heaven. The desire to have a daughter grew in Malik Ibn-Dinar's heart. For some reason, the vendor refused to sell the sweets with a cheaper price. Thus, Malik beat the vendor, took the sweets, and gave them to the man asking him to let his three daughters make dua’a for him. Malik thought about getting married and having daughters. He wondered who would accept him as a husband since he was disliked.

    Malik went to the auction, bought a female slave, and then set her free to marry her. He had a baby girl and named her Fatima. He loved her very much to the extent that as Fatima grew older, the love of goodness increased in his heart while evil decreased. Whenever she found him drinking alcohol, she would take the cup away from him as if she was inspired by Allah to do so. Fatima died when she was three years old. After that, Malik said, "I became worse than before. One day, I decided to drink alcohol to the point that I dropped unconscious like never before. I dreamt that I was on Dooms Day and that a caller was calling people by their names to stand in front of the Almighty Allah (which all of us one day will experience). I saw people trembling from fear. The caller then called me to stand in front of the Almighty. I was trembling, and I saw a snake that wanted to bite me. I ran away from it, but it was behind me all the time until I reached a weak man and asked him for assistance. The weak man said "O my son, I'm a weak man and I can't save you from that snake. Try to run in this direction and you may escape the danger of the snake." I ran in that direction but I found the Hell Fire in front of me and wondered, “Am I escaping the snake to be thrown in the Hell Fire?” I returned and the snake was still behind me. I saw the weak man again and asked him to assist me. He replied that he is too weak to do anything. He said run in the direction of a certain mountain to escape from the snake. I saw some children playing. When they saw me they called Fatima, saying "O Fatima, save your dad."

    "Fatima came, grabbed me with her right hand, and pushed the snake away with her left hand. She then sat on my lap as she used to do in her life. I was nervous. She said, "O my dad", and then recited the holy verse, "Has not the time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of Allah and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them)." I asked her about that snake and she told me it was your evil deeds which intensified to the point of killing you. Then, I asked her about the weak man and she replied "He is your righteous deeds which have become weak because of their scarcity. If I did not die so young, you would have not been going to Heaven." Then she recited the same verse again "Has not the time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of Allah and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them)." I woke up from my slumber saying, "O Allah, yes it is time. The time is now." I went to perform wudu' (ablution) and went to the mosque to pray Fajr. I was surprised when the Imam recited the same verse from my dream, "Has not the time arrived for the Believers that their hearts in all humility should engage in the remembrance of Allah and of the Truth which has been revealed (to them)."" From that day on, Malik Ibn-Dinar’s sincerely repented.

     
  • At Monday, December 08, 2008 12:54:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    assalamu alsikum wrwb,

    JazakAllah khair for your reminders. May Allah continue to make it easy for you all, ameen.

    Salams to everyone at home.

    May Allah continue to protect you all, ameen.

    wassalamu alaikum wrwb
    -sum

     
  • At Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so proud of you Omar, and your family, for making it through this tragedy and still living each and every day with strength and motivation. Asma truly is in a better place and reminding yourself that "death is near" is a good way to stay on the Right Path; however, you must also remember to live your life, make something of yourself, and be happy. Don't work on making your parents proud, but work on making yourself proud as well. I read something today, "Every man dies, but not every man lives". I don't remember where I saw it, but I feel it applies here :). Remember Asma always, but don't let her remind you of death, let her remind you of LIFE and take her with you everywhere you go. Let her always LIVE in your heart.

     
  • At Tuesday, November 03, 2009 2:49:00 PM, Anonymous learn quran online said…

    May Allah continue to make it easy for you all, ameen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
</body></html>